Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Inspiration...



Every time I go shopping at all the big mall stores to see what’s new, I am always sorely dissapointed.  There is a severe lack of creativity in the price points I can afford.  Now I realize, some designs must be dumbed down a little to be able to sold for less but quite honestly that’s no excuse.  You can change a neckline,  add a ruffle where you wouldn’t except it, or even have a really cool color or print.  This is about the point when I start sketching my own designs but realize, “oh wait, I’m in school! I don’t have time to make anything for myself!)  But that doesn’t stop me from being inspired.  :-)  I’m so excited this term because I get to actually make my own collection for a real live fashion show!  I can use whatever fabrics, silhouettes and details I want! 

This week, I want to focus on what’s been inspiring me as of late.  This may be an ongoing theme depending on how well it’s received and what I feel like writing about on any given day.

This last week I got to see the movie Water for Elephants with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson.  The movie itself was pretty cool.  I didn’t think it would be as intense of a drama but I was still entranced by the magic of the circus and of course the costumes. I am now officially obsessed with the fashion of the 1930’s. Combine that with the magic and drama of the circus… and all the gorgeous animals and I might be in love!  After doing some research I found out about the costume designer for the movie (Jacqueline West) and found some gorgeous sketches of the costumes! They are very reminiscent of one of my favorite 30’s designers who revolutionized the way women dressed, Madeleine Vionnet.  I found some pics of each so enjoy!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_len3k1u8tg1qahuhjo1_500.jpghttp://www.thecheapdesignerpurses.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/1930s-Fashion-Backless-Dress.jpghttp://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_C.I.52.18.4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2512349134_f62777392a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2511519085_dbd5262520.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I totally sympathize with not having enough time to make your own clothes. You'd think that fashion students would be able to wear all their own stuff, but time and money make that difficult. Alas.
    Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!....say la vie... I can't believe how many people ask me if I've made what I'm wearing! I wish I did but no, I have to pay for them like everyone else :/

    ReplyDelete